By: Bec Robertson
Tiramisu means “cheer me up” in Italian. It definitely lives up to its name. However, a vegan and gluten free version without refined sugar will have you firing on all cylinders. Omitting the cake, processed sugar and cheese gives this recipe variation a health filled twist, rather than a sugar crash.
Using Black Lab Coffee for a delectable espresso flavour, we like our coffee strong and our tiramisu vegan/gluten free.
Handful of raw nuts (cashew, macadamia or slivered almond)
2 dessert spoons of macadamia nut butter (can substitute for cashew or almond butter if needed)
2.5 dessert spoons of pure maple syrup
1 dessert spoon of coconut oil
2 dessert spoons of white chia seeds
1 cup of water
1.5 cups of raw cashew nuts (substitute blanched, slivered almonds if needed)
1 shot espresso coffee
1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla powder
3 dessert spoons of raw cacao powder
- Put the handful of raw nuts into the bottom of a glass jar that can be used as a serving container (see pictured).
- Blend all other ingredients (except the cacao powder) in a high powered blender or food processor.
- Blend/process until smooth and creamy.
- Taste test. Add extra maple if needed for sweetness.
- Place 2/3 of the mixture into the serving jar. Reserve the remaining 1/3 in the blender/food processor.
- Add the cacao to the remaining 1/3 of the mixture. Blend until smooth and completely mixed.
- Place the final 1/3 cacao mix on top of the ingredients in the jar. Create a layering effect as pictured.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to set the mixtures.
- Top with raw nuts of your choice and dark chocolate (anything above 90% cacao). You can also add a dash of maple syrup on top.